CHEAP MOVERS NEAR ME
Who are the cheapest movers near me? Now as well all know the famous quote “you get what you pay for” so please keep this in mind when hiring movers. If a moving company is considerably cheaper than the others (by 15% or more) – highly reconsider as this can be a red flag for a moving scam. With the disclaimer out of the way here are the best resources for finding the cheapest movers near you.
How Much Do Cheap Movers Cost?
On average, cheap moving companies cost between $300 and $5,000. Cheap local movers typically charge hourly rates with pricing between $99-$129, with a 2-3 hour minimum; additional travel or storage fees for other services may apply. For a more accurate estimate according to your specific move, start your moving estimate here. Cheap long distance movers charge based on the weight of the load, the distance of the shipment, and the level of service required. Even for cheap moving companies, expect the price to be around $3/lb if your are moving about 150 miles away.
Moving on a Budget
Keeping additional fees to a minimum is critical to a cheaper move. While some companies can include these services at no additional charge, other companies charge by the item, distance, hour, or other creative hidden fee. Be sure tp receive moving quotes from about the following fees. How transparent they are with the fee disclosure is telling of their customer service.
- Packing and unpacking
- Packing/Wrapping of fragile items
- Temporary storage options
- Materials like tape and shrink wrap
- Disassembly and reassembly of furniture at the new house
How To Find Cheap Moving Companies
As you shop for cheap movers near me, remember to balance an affordable moving price with quality moving services from experienced movers with good reviews. To find the best cheap moving companies near me that you can trust to transport your things, follow these tips:
- Compare Movers Near Me: As with purchasing any other home service, it pays to comparison shop. Request moving quotes from at least 3-4 cheap moving companies, and if relocating out-of-state, request additional in-home estimates from at least 3 movers. Compare the moving rates & pricing for additional services. Make sure to note the specifics of the moving quote. Does one mover charge travel time, while another company throws in free moving boxes? Ensure you’re comparing apples to apples with the moving quotes you receive.
- Stay Away From Movers With Low-Ball Quotes: While some cheaper movers run limited discounts, or promotions, any respectable moving company likely charges rates on par with its competitors, since they often have similar moving labor and overhead costs.
- Deposit Fees – Your deposit should not be more than $100 for cheap local movers or 20% for cheap long distance movers.
- Request a Free Zoom/Facetime Estimate: If you’re moving long distance, you are entitled to a free in-home moving estimate if you live within 50 miles of your moving company.
- Ask About Form of Payment: Even the cheapest movers will accept multiple forms of payment, including credit cards and personal checks if they are a reputable company. Be leery of movers who only takes cash or who demand a large deposit up-front.
- Get Your Estimate in Writing: Before hiring cheap movers, make sure to get the moving estimate in writing. This step creates an enforceable contract. Once you get the moving quote in writing, a long distance moving company cannot deviate more than 10% higher than the original quoted cost. FMCSA enacted this law to prevent customers from getting swindled by cheap moving companies who inaccurately price jobs, then send a final bill that’s far greater than the initial moving quote.
- Make Sure All Documents are Complete: The movers you hire will provide you with a Bill of Lading that describes the agreed-upon moving services and the final quote. Make sure this document is filled out completely, with signatures from the moving company representative, before you sign. Avoid signing an incomplete document; a dishonest moving company could go back and amend an unfinished contract, leaving you on the hook to pay more than you bargained.
Cheapest Long Distance Moving Companies Near Me
If you’re moving cross-country or locally, you have several options for getting your entire household moved from your current residence to your new home. Here, we’ll analyze the cheapest moving companies for long distance and local budget moving choices, reviewing the pros and cons of each.
5. Hire Professional Movers To Handle The Job
Whether you’re moving locally or out-of-state, hiring affordable movers to do the job takes most of the work out of relocating. Here are some reasons for and against using movers for your relocation:
- Help with a variety of services: Pro movers usually offer a wide range of moving and storage services, including packing/unpacking, warehouse storage, furniture moving, appliance delivery, office and residential moves, apartment moves, last minute moves, and more. As the customer, you get to choose select services or elect for a full-service move.
- Assume responsibility for your items: When the movers take your possessions into their care, they assume the liability for any goods that get damaged, lost or stolen. Interstate and intrastate movers are required to carry insurance to protect your things. Instead of entrusting your grandmother’s prized armoire to your husband’s sometimes clumsy friends, you can leave it in the hands of movers who will take full responsibility.
- Door-to-door and full-service solutions: Many movers offer full-service solutions that include carefully boxing your items and unloading everything at your new residence. This end-to-end option seriously reduces moving stress, especially if you’re short on time to do-it-all yourself.
- They manage loading and unloading truck: Instead of breaking your own back trying to lift heavy boxes and haul weighty furniture, you can let the movers sweat it out while you supervise. Professionals manage the entire loading and unloading process, so you never have to lift a finger.
- Saves time: If you’ve ever moved, you know it can take hours just to box up your kitchen. Professional movers can knock out the work in a fraction of the time it would take to do it all on your own.
- Fully equipped with truck, supplies, and equipment: Movers come fully-prepared with everything needed to orchestrate a smooth move. In addition to a full-sized moving truck, a moving company brings moving supplies, blankets to protect your furniture and appliances, and dollies to safely transport your things to and from the truck.
- You don’t have to find people to help: Except for a handful of saints, most of your friends and family would prefer to sleep in on Saturday morning over helping you move. Instead of contending with a round of mysterious last-minute cancellations, hire professionals that will show up on time to get your move done.
- Trained and knowledgeable: Moving and storage companies have a trained staff that is well-versed in nearly all aspects of moving. If your move includes conquering complicated logistics like getting a treadmill down a set of stairs or packing up your ultra-thin (and expensive) wine glasses, professional movers are up to the task.
- Might be more expensive than some of the alternatives: Hiring movers is usually more costly than using a self-moving option like a rental truck or borrowing a truck from family or friends. However, once you factor in the value of time and additional expenses like gas or rentals of moving equipment, you might be surprised at the relative affordability of a using a mover.
How To Move Cheaply
Moving can get expensive so here is a great resource for saving money on your move 99 Ways To Save Money on Your Move . About three million people move across state lines yearly, and still more move from town to town within the same state. Moving is an expensive business, which might explain why more and more people are finding ways to minimize the cost of relocation by using cheap moving companies. Here are some of the best ways to make your next move a cheap one:
1. Collect Free Boxes Before Your Move.
Walmart or big box stores have boxes for free or use next-door or facebook to connect with neighbors. You can cut down on your moving costs by collecting as many free boxes as possible in the days, weeks, or months before your move. If you can’t find them for free, be sure to purchase before moving day. Moving companies are known to charge exorbitantly high rates for these once they are already on site.
Here are a few ways to gather free moving boxes:
- Save up all your large shipping boxes, such as those you receive from Amazon.
- Ask your neighbors to pass any unwanted moving boxes to you.
- Search Freecycle where residents who have moved recently often want to get rid of these space-takers and will give them to you for free if you pick them up.
- Check with your local schools or grocery stores. They may have boxes they want to dispose of.
2. Pick Your Moving Date Carefully
You can save a bunch of money on moving if you decide to do it “off season:”
- Move in September through April. May, June, July, and August are the peak moving months, and movers will charge more during late spring and summer.
- Aim for a mid-week move. Weekends are the most expensive days to hire movers because people often prefer not to miss any work when they move. But if you can take leave in the middle of the week, or you’re between jobs, you can save some serious coin by avoiding Friday through Monday moving dates.
- Schedule your movers to arrive toward the middle of the month when the demand for professional movers is lower. The first and last weeks of a month see the most moving activity.
4. Reduce Your Load
For long-distance and out-of-state moves, moving companies charge according to the weight of your belongings. If you reduce the number of heavy things to relocate, you can save a lot of money.
Moving is a great time to sort through your library and decide how many books you want to keep. Books, especially hardbacks, can add up in weight. If you can bear to part with them, some of your books could be given to your local library or other charity or sold for cash to used bookstores.
Also, seize this opportunity to get rid of old or worn-out furniture you are likely to replace within the next year anyway. Consider saving on the moving cost and just buying your new pieces soon after you relocate. To get rid of unwanted furniture before a move, list it on Craigslist or Freecycle. You may even get a little extra cash this way. If you need to get rid of the furniture quickly, however, consider offering it for free.
5. Do Your Own Packing
6. Moving is Tax-Deductible, If…
- Your move “closely relates” to the start of work. This means that the move should be completed within a year of your work start date.
- Your move passes the “time test.” To deduct moving expenses, you’ll have to work full-time for at least 39 weeks in the first year following the move. If you’re self-employed, you must work full time for 78 weeks during the first two years following your move.
- Your move passes the “distance test.” As a rule of thumb, this means your new job location should be at least fifty miles farther away from your old apartment or home than your old workplace was from your old residence. If you are moving for a new job, that job must be at least fifty miles from your old home.
Depending on your marginal tax rate, you could save up to 37% on moving expenses by utilizing this tax deduction.
Why would you need one of the best and cheap movers in America?
The reason that you should consider working with one of these companies is that they are not your ordinary moving business. They are designed to not only help people move locally, but they can also help people transition from one state to another. This could be a move of several hundred miles, or they could move you over 3000 miles to the other end of the United States. It just depends on when you need to move, how much you need to move, and the way that you would like to have your merchandise transitioned. As long as you can figure out to the top 10 movers are that can provide this type of help, you should have no problem at all getting estimates. This information will lead you to the best and cheap moving company, but first, you need to know how to find them.
How Do You Find These Top 10 Cheap Moving Companies?
What most people tend to do is search for businesses that are local to their area. For example, if you are living in Boston, you are going to restrict your search to the state of Massachusetts. If you are in Texas, Michigan, or in the state of Nevada, most of the movers are not going to be national. By choosing the city that you live in and searching for movers, it should be very easy for you to quickly find the top rated company. Let’s go over how that’s done, and then show you who many people have picked as the top 10 most affordable and cheap moving companies in the USA.
How To Make Sure You Have The Right Affordable Company?
Whether you are selecting a moving company from a top 10 list, or you are searching for these businesses on your own using the web, the process is going to be the same. There are only four factors that you need to consider when you are selecting one of these businesses. These factors include price, reputation, size, and ability. Choosing a company by price is the first thing that most people will do. It’s always good to get a bargain. The amount that you can save can be substantial if you are moving several hundred miles within your state, or several thousand miles if you are transitioning from one coast to the other. This could mean a savings of thousands of dollars depending on how much you are moving and what the merchandise is. The second factor is their reputation which is easy to determine based on the public feedback and star ratings that they have received. The third factor is the size of the company, and this is vital. First of all, the larger the company, the more likely it is that they have been around for quite some time. This means that you will be working with a business that has a long track record for providing excellent services for people all across America. The other reason that the size of the company is important has to do with the fourth and final factor to consider which is availability. If they are not able to help you when you need them, you are simply going to have to move on until you choose one of the companies that will be able to help you on that date.
Finding Cheap Movers That Won’t Destroy Your Stuff
When you plan, organize, and manage a move, you need to make the right choices that cover every important facet of the move. In other words, you need to select the right mover for your unique moving needs. Vetting the long list of affordable moving companies involves understanding the factors that determine the top 10 affordable movers.
Word of mouth advertising might have moved into cyberspace, but old school word of mouth recommendations still matter for learning about the reputation of a business like a moving company. Before you consider any other factor for choosing a company from the list of the top 10 affordable moving companies in the USA, you should ask friends, family members, and professional peers about their recommendations for the best affordable moving company. You can cross movers of your list that delivered a negative experience for someone close to you, as well as place a star or two by movers that generated praise from a friend, a relative, or a professional peer. The best movers will have 5 star reviews on every platform.
How Long in The Industry
Practice makes perfect is a timeless axiom that has special relevance for the top 10 affordable and cheap moving companies in the USA. How much experience should a moving company have? The answer is not set in stone, but you want to consider an affordable mover that has compiled at least five years of experience successfully completing the same type of move you expect to make.
Licensed and Insured
Most movers boast about the licenses they have earned. Obtaining a license should verify the legitimacy of a moving company you are considering for the big move. However, not all licenses are alike. What you want from a company that is one of the best affordable movers involves the earning of a license from the United States Department of Transportation (DOT). Under federal law, every moving company operating in the United States must earn a license from the DOT. Do your part to confirm the legitimacy of an affordable mover by finding out the company’s USDOT number, which should by easily seen on the company website and the website run by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
Transparent Pricing and Services
You want to choose one of the top 10 affordable moving companies that offers customized services that match your moving requirements. One popular customized moving service is the taking apart and putting back together of household furniture. You might need the crating of small accessories or the hoisting of large, heavy objects such as a piano. Storage is another customized service that appeals to professionals relocating to a new city. In any case, you want any affordable mover on your short list to offer the services you need to complete a successful move.
Once you have looked at these different affordable cheap movers for long distance moving, out of state or state to state relocation that provide the best moving services, you will be able to choose the right one. You will also want to verify that they will have the ability to come to your location as soon as possible to help you with your transition to a different home or office. It is as simple as making a phone call. Most of these have one 800 numbers. You can also contact them on their website to make sure that they are available, plus request estimates on how much it will cost so that you can save the most money.